Unit 2. Life in Cities and Villages
22 (1) Bathroom; bedroom; living room; hall; balcony; toilet; kitchen; garden; cottage.
23 (2) 1) large; 2) busy; 3) near; 4) old; 5) lucky; 6) easy; 7) ancient; 8) dirty.
23 (3) My town is small, but clean. It is a very quiet town. There are some modem buildings in the centre of the town. I live near the centre of the town.
23 (4) Dan: Do you live in a house or a flat?
You: I live in a house.
Dan: How many floors are there?
You: There are two floors.
Dan: Does it have a lift or stairs only?
You: It has only stairs.
Dan: How many bedrooms are there?
You: There are two bedrooms.
Dan: How many windows are there in your room?
You: There is one window in my room.
Dan: What’s there in your bedroom?
You: There is a bed, a desk, two chairs and a wardrobe in my bedroom.
Dan: Have you got a garden?
You: Yes, I have.
1. Write the words.
A living room: wall; pictures; carpet; chairs; floor; TV.
A bedroom: bookshelves; curtain; lamp; window; computer; desk; chair; bed; wardrobe.
2. Look and write. Complete the sentences about the pictures in Ex. 1. Use the words in the box given below.
The living room
There is a square table in the middle of the room.
There are four chairs near the table.
There is a big carpet on the floor.
There are two pictures on the wall.
There is a television in the corner of the room.
There is a bed at the window.
There is a desk to the right of the bed.
There is a computer on the desk.
There is a lamp next to the computer.
There is a chair in front of the desk.
There are two bookshelves on the wall.
There is a wardrobe to the left of the bookshelves.
There are some clothes in the wardrobe.
26 (1) Wardrobe; mirror; bedside table; bookshelf.
26 (2) This is my room. There is a sofa in my room. There is a picture on the wall above the sofa. There is a desk in front of the window. There is a red lamp on the desk. There is a wardrobe at the wall. There are some clothes in the wardrobe. There is a chair on a green mat near the table. There are a lot of books on the bookshelves near the window. There is a blue carpet on the floor.
27 (3) Is your flat large?
Is there a carpet on the floor?
What is next to the bed?
Where do you keep your clothes?
27 (1) → Washing machine, fridge, sink, cupboard, running water, bed, bedside table, table, microwave oven.
↓ Cooker, dishwasher.
28 (2) 1) f; 2) c; 3) d; 4) a; 5) b; 6) e.
1. A: Where are the pictures?
B: In the bedroom.
2. A: Where is the cupboard?
B: In the kitchen.
3. A: Where is the armchair?
B: In the living room.
4. A: Where is the carpet?
B: On the floor.
29 (4) My bedroom has two windows. It is very light and cosy. There are a lot of plants there. There is a big and comfortable bed. There is a green square carpet on the floor. There are some bookshelves on the walls. There is a computer on the desk.
1. Complete the sentences with the words from the box given below.
1) chores; 2) feed; 3) washes up; 4) finish; 5) broom; 6) set the table; 7) vacuum; 8) take out.
2. Write what the children are doing now.
1. The boy is taking out the rubbish.
2. The children are feeding the cat.
3. The boy is vacuuming the carpet.
4. The girl is mopping the floor.
5. The boy is washing up.
6. Mum is setting the table.
31 (3) 1. You are not feeding your hamster now. Are you feeding your hamster now?
2. He is not vacuuming the carpet now. Is he vacuuming the carpet now?
3. We are not taking the peels off the table. Are we taking the peels off the table?
4. They aren't cooking dinner now. Are they cooking dinner now?
31 (4) 1. I usually vacuum the room.
2. I sometimes clean the room with a broom.
3. I often do the washing up.
4.1 always set the table.
5. I never clean the windows.
32 (1) 1) help; 2) vacuum; 3) chores; 4) furniture; 5) finish; 6) broom.
32 (2) 1) is helping; 2) cooks; 3) am feeding; 4) cleans; 5) is swimming; 6) are setting.
32 (3) 1. Tom is not feeding the hamster now.
2. We are doing our housework now.
3. Kate is cleaning the window now.
4. My father is not repairing a table.
5. Are we making a cake?
32 (4) In picture A mum is cleaning the window. In picture B dad is cleaning the window. In picture A dad is fixing a chair. In picture B his son is fixing a chair. In picture A a girl is sweeping the floor. In picture B her mum is sweeping the floor. In picture A a boy is washing up. In picture B his sister is washing up.
p. 33, ex. 1. Find and write the words that rhyme.
1) feed; 2) broom; 3) drink; 4) finish.
p. 33, ex. 2. Write sentences.
1. Sam is reading a new book today.
2. We go to the cinema on Fridays.
3. My mum is washing the door at the moment.
4. I visit my relatives on Sundays.
3. Write questions.
1. Does he live in a big modem house?
2. Do you like to listen to your granny stories?
3. Are Jim and Kate helping their parents with the housework?
4. Do we usually drink apple juice in the morning?
5. Does she get to school by bus?
4. You are talking with Steve. Match the questions and answers and act out the dialogue you get. There is one question that you don’t need.
C; E; F; A; B.
5. Read the texts (1-2) and match them to the correct photos (A-B). Complete the texts with the words from the boxes given below.
1 В: 1 ) of; 2) of; 3) for; 4) in.
2 A: 1) near; 2) with; 3) of; 4) in; 5) —; 6) in; 7) at.