Unit 4. The World of Nature
p. 76 ex. 1. Look and write.
It is foggy. It is rainy. It is windy.
It is cloudy. It is frosty. It is muddy.
p. 76 ex. 2. Fill in.
1. cold and frosty;
2. rainy and windy;
3. hot and sunny;
4. warm and sunny.
p. 76 ex. 3. Complete.
1. winter; it is cold and frosty;
2. I don’t like autumn because it is rainy and windy;
3. summer; it is hot and sunny;
4. I like spring because it is warm and sunny.
p. 77 ex. 1. Answer the questions.
2. Yes, it was. 3. The sky was grey. 4. Yes, there were. There were a lot of clouds in the sky. 5. Yes, it was. It was windy.
p. 77 ex. 2. Write about what was the weather like last weekend.
cold and windy.; was grey. There were a lot of clouds in the sky. It was frosty and snowy. It wasn’t sunny.
p. 77 ex. 3. Read and guess the name of the month.
2 March; 3 December; 4 October; 5 February; 6 August.
p. 78 ex. 1. Help Vicky to put the words into the right boxes.
p. 78 ex. 2. Fill in the gaps.
1. were; 2. was; 3. cooked; 4. helped; 5. celebrated.
p. 79 ex. 3. Read about Sunday. Today is Monday. Write about Bob.
Bob played with his friends yesterday. Bob cooked supper yesterday. Bob walked his dog. Bob talked with his Dad on the j phone.
p. 79 ex. 4. Make up questions, then answer them.
1. Did you play basketball last week? — Yes, I did.
2. Did he play snowballs last winter? — Yes, he did.
3. Did we make a snowman last weekend? — No, we didn’t.
4. Did they play tennis last Monday? — No, they didn’t.
5. Did she play badminton last month? — No, she didn’t.
6. Dis they play badminton last Monday — No, they didn’t.
p. 80 ex. 1. Choose a / e / i / o / u and complete these weather words.
p. 80 ex. 2. Match the sentences with the same meaning.
5; 4; 6; 1; 3; 2.
p. 80 ex. 3. Choose the correct word.
1. warmer; 2. warmer; 3. nicer; 4. hotter; 5. wetter; 6. sunnier.
p. 81 ex. 1. Write the good weather words in the sun and bad weather words in the cloud. Then write sentences like in the examples.
I like hot and sunny weather. I can go to the river and swim.
I am always happy.
I don’t like freezing and cold weather. I can’t go for a walk and I am always sad.
I don’t like foggy, cloudy and rainy weather. I can’t go outside. I am always sleepy. I like sunny and clear weather. I like to play games in the yard. I am always glad. I like warm and dry weather. I can go for a walk in the park. I am always happy.
p. 82 ex. 2. How well do your know your own country? Complete the sentences.
1. Kyiv; 2. Merefa; 3. Dnieper; 4. Hoverla; 5. Khortitsa; 6. summer; 7. autumn.
p. 82 ex. 3. Use words from the boxes and complete the sentences as in the example.
2. is the largest city; 3. is the largest state; 4. is the longest river.
p. 82 ex. 4. Complete the sentences as in the example.
2. the happiest day; 3. the hottest month; 4. the longest river.
p. 83 ex. 1. Group up the words from the box into three columns.
a polar bear
p. 83 ex. 2. Read the text in task 3 on page 113 of your Pupil’s Book and complete the sentences.
1. the driest places; 2. the biggest; 3. the biggest rainforests; 4. the coldest places; 5. the happiest time; 6. the nicest place.
p. 84 ex. 1. Write pairs as in the example.
children; geese; mice; sheep; horses.
p. 84 ex. 2. Choose the correct word.
geese; chicks; hens; turkeys; horses; a dog; cats; mice.
p. 84 ex. 3. Write the sentences with opposite meanings.
2. We are hot at night.
3. the farmhouse looks new and beautiful.
4. It has a nice roof.
5. Life is interesting.
6. I am full.
7. It is a comfortable chair.
8. It is difficult to feed the chicks.
9. The dog is unfriendly. It is dangerous.
p. 85 ex. 1. Complete the table.
p. 85 ex. 2. Write the missing letter.
p. 85 ex. 3. Write the opposites. Choose from the list of adjectives below.
older, more intelligent, more hard-working, more expensive, easier, worse, shorter, the roughest, more dangerous, the latest, interesting, poorer.
p. 86. ex. 4. Complete the sentences. Use the comparative (порівняльну) form of the adjectives.
1. worse; 2. faster; 3. more interesting; 4. more popular; 5. warmer; 6. better.
p. 87 ex. 1. Match questions and and answers.
1. in Africa. 2. When they smell blood. 3. Fruit, leaves and sometimes meat. 4. Because they are funny. 5. Very fast.
p. 87 ex. 2. Read about the animals in task 3 on pages 123-124 in your PB. Shut the book and choose one of the four animals you read about. Write five sentences about it.
A great white shark is the best hunter in the sea. It looks as a very big fish. It can be eight metres long. It has a long tail and swims very fast. It has very sharp teeth. It eats big fish and seals. The shark lives alone. The people are afraid of the sharks when they go swimming. And many people think sharks are the most dangerous animals.
p. 87 ex. 3. Put the adjectives in the correct column on page 88 and write their superlative forms.
|the smallest||the nicest||the hottest||the friendliest||the most interesting||the worst|
|the slowest||the largest||the fattest||the clumsiest||the most dangerous||the best|
|the fastest||the cutest||the thinnest||the prettiest||the most beautiful|
|the ugliest||the most intelligent|
p. 88 ex. 4. What do you think? Choose from the animals in the box and answer the questions.
The most intelligent is a chimpanzee. The most beautiful is a swan. The most dangerous is a crocodile. The most interesting is a giraffe. The most useful is a cow. The most popular among the children is a penguin. The best friend of a man is a dog.
p. 88 ex. 5. Write about an animal that you like or find interesting. Write about what it looks like, where it lives, what it eats, why it is interesting.
I like a chimpanzee. It is very gunny and interesting. It is very intelligent. It is the most intelligent of all animals. They usually live in African tropical forests in small family groups. And you can see them in the zoo too. They eat leaves and bananas and they sometimes eat meat. They love playing.