Unit 6. Travelling
p. 107 ex. 1. Write as in the example.
2. Mike and Jake are going to travel by tram. 3. My parents are going to travel by plane. 4. My friend is going to travel by bike. 5. My grandma is going to travel by ship. 6. Alan is going to travel by car.
p. 107 ex. 2. Put the words in brackets into the correct forms.
2. the fastest; 3. cheaper; 4. more interesting; 5. the most expensive; 6. the most exciting; 7. the slowest.
p. 108 ex. 1. Fill in the missing letters and make up your sentences with the words.
platform; arrive; travel; leave; information; stay.
1. The train to Kyiv leaves from platform 1. 2. What time do you usually leave home in the morning? 3. My father arrived yesterday. 4. You can get necessary information at the information desk. 5. How do you usually travel in summer? 6. We are going to stay in the mountains for two weeks.
p. 108 ex. 2. Complete the dialogues.
1. A: Sorry, could you tell me ... .
B: ... arrives...
A: Sorry, ... way ... . ... the bus stop is?
B: ... trip.
A: ... where you can buy tickets?
p. 109 ex. 3. Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
1. her; 2. him; 3. it; 4. them; 5. us; 6. you.
p. 110 ex. 1. Complete the sentences.
1. ... to be in different places and meet different people. 2. ... arrange your trip. 3. ... to choose the place, a means of transport you are going to go, buy tickets, book a hotel. 4. ... a camera to take pictures of some interesting sights and beautiful views. 5. ... to watch the photos of some happy moments of your life.
p. 110 ex. 2. Complete the text with the words from the box.
travel; travel agency; tickets; plane; passenger; suitcase; pictures trip; places.
p. 111 ex. 3. Complete with the prepositions.
on; by; at; to; by on; on for.
p. 111 ex. 4. Disagree as in the example.
1. The plane didn’t land in Kyiv at 5 o’clock. 2. The train didn’t arrive 5 minutes ago. 3. Pam doesn’t usually travel by bus or train. 4. My friend isn’t going to take a taxi to a railway station.
p. 112 ex. 1. Guess and write.
4. a seat;
5. a ticket office;
6. a schedule;
7. an airport;
8. a luggage.
9. a bus station.
p. 112 ex. 2. Look at the timetables and complete the dialogues as in the example.
A: When does the bus to Cardiff leave?
A: Which platform does it leave from?
A: When does it arrive?
A: When does the train to Odessa leave?
B: It leaves at 11.20 p.m.
A: Which platform does it leave from?
B: Platform 2.
A: When does it arrive?
B: It arrives at 6.30 a.m.
p. 113 ex. 3. Read the sentences, ask ‘Wh’-questions, ‘Yes/No’-questions and ‘Or’-questions.
1. Does Mike like travelling by train? What does Mike like doing? Does Mike like travelling by train or by bus?
2. Are John and Ben going to go to Rome this summer? Where are they going to go this summer? Are they going to go to Rome or Paris?
p. 114 ex. 1. Match the words to make up the word combinations. Make up 5 sentences using some of them.
look through the window; to buy tickets beforehand; arrive at the airport; catch a taxi; get into a car; miss a train; get on a train; in the morning; at 7 o’clock; on Monday.
You should buy tickets beforehand. I don’t want to miss a train. The father gets into the car and the journey starts. We arrive at the airport in time. It is very pleasant to look through the window.
p. 114 ex. 2. Read and complete with the words from the box.
1. nearly; 2. journey; 3. get; underground station; on; takes; seaport; 4. missed; catch.
p. 115 ex. 3. Complete the text.
shop, banks and cafes; at the ticket offices beforehand; taxi or by bus; ... a comfortable armchair in the waiting hall; the airport shop.; ... at a cafe; ... the pilots and mechanics; ... pass check-indesk. ... weigh the luggage, check the tickets and a passport.
p. 115 ex. 4. Write a paragraph about your last trip. Use the words from the box.
My last trip was to Kyiv. My friend and I went there by train. We bought the tickets beforehand. The train left at 10.30 p.m. from Kharkiv and arrived at 6.30 a.m. We visited a lot of places of interest, bought some souvenirs and ate delicious food.
p. 116 ex. 1. Write the names of London’s most famous sights.
The Tower Bridge; Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament; Trafalgar Square; St.Paul’s Cathedral; Piccadilly Circus; Buckingham Palace; St. James Park; London Eye.
p. 116 ex. 2. Solve the crossword.
1. tourist; 2. cathedral; 3. sightseeing; 4. square; 5. underground; 6. royal; 7. tour.
p. 117 ex. 3. Answer the questions.
1. London is the capital of Great Britain. 2. You can see the Tower Bridge, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square and St.Paul’s Cathedral. 3. There is a statue of Admiral Nelson in the centre of Trafalgar Square. 4. Piccadilly Circus is the meeting point of six streets in London. 5. The Queen of Great Britain lives in Buckingham Palace. 6. Covent garden is a tourist shopping centre with cafes and restaurants.
p. 117 ex. 4. Make up the sentences.
1. I have seen St.Sophia Cathedral. 2. I have done many things there. 3. I have visited many places there. 4. I have taken many photos.
p. 118 ex. 1. Complete.
p. 118 ex. 2. Make up sentences.
1. I have read an interesting book. 2. They have done their homework. 3. We have played tennis with you. 4. You have played basketball. 5. I have visited my grandparents. 6. They have seen a giraffe at the Zoo. 7. I have written an e-mail to your friend.
p. 119 ex. 3. Choose and fill in.
1. Have; 2. has; 3. has; 4. have; 5. has; 6. have; 7. Has; 8. Have.
p. 199 ex. 4. Choose and circle the correct word.
am; done; written; asked; cooked; visited; played.
p. 120 ex. 1. Complete the table.
p. 120 ex. 2. Choose and fill in.
1. already; 2. yet; 3. yet; 4. already; 5. yet; 6. already.
p. 121 ex. 3. Make up questions. Then answer them.
2. Has your friend had his birthday party? Yes, he has.
3. Have your cousins seen the snake? No, they haven’t.
4. Has your teacher begun the lesson? Yes, she has.
5. Have you played table tennis? No, I haven’t.
6. Has your dad been to Kyiv? No, he hasn’t.
p. 122 ex. 1. Answer the questions.
1. I have eaten a sandwich and some biscuits for breakfast.
2. I have had English.
3. I haven’t had Music yet.
4. I have seen a crocodile and a giraffe in the zoo.
5. I haven’t seen a camel yet.
6. I have been to the circus today.
7. Helen hasn’t come to school today.
8. I have bought my shoes at the shoe shop.
p. 122 ex. 2. Write questions to the interview with a British tourist in Kyiv. (See task on page 183 of your PB).
1. How long have you been in Kyiv?
2. Have you gone sightseeing in Kyiv?
3. Have you been to Khreshchatyk yet?
4. Have you been to the Saint Sophia’s Cathedral?
5. Have you visited other Ukrainian towns?
6. What interesting places have you seen in Ukraine?
p. 123 ex. 3. Make up questions.
1. Did she go to Cambridge last week? When did she go to Cambridge? Where did she go last week? Who went to Cambridge last week?
2. Have you been to New York? Who has been to New York? Where have you been?
3. Have they seen many places of interest in London? Who has seen many places of interest in London? What have they seen in London? Where have they seen many places of interest?
4. Has he bought many souvenirs in Kyiv? Who has bought many souvenirs in Kyiv? What has he bought in Kyiv? Where has he bought many souvenirs?