Unit 4. The World Around Us
1. Look at the photos. Write the words for the things you see.
Earth; mountains; valley; desert; ocean; forest.
2. Put the words in brackets into the correct tense form.
1) are watching; 2) spends; 3) went; 4) looks after; 5) Did ... make; 6) is reading.
3. Read Dan’s description and complete the drawing. Add the details that are not there. Then answer the questions given below.
1. Yes, it is. The weather is wonderful.
2. No, the lake is big.
3. Yes, there are. There are two mountains on both banks of the lake.
4. There are three trees on the island.
5. The boat is going around the lake.
1. Look and write.
→ 1) whale; 2) cheetah; 3) lion; 4) fox; 5) wolf; 6) tiger; 7) zebra.
↓ 1) dolphin; 2) crocodile; 3) python; 4) fish.
2. Complete the table.
3. Look and write as in the example.
1. The mouse is smaller than the elephant.
2. The snake is shorter than the python.
3. The giraffe is taller than the zebra.
4. The sheep is slower than the horse.
5. the tiger is bigger than the cat.
4. Read, draw and write.
1) rabbit (кролик); 2) elephant (слон); 3) shark (акула).
1. Do the crossword.
Bear; monkey; lizard; mouse; zebra; lion; snake.
2. Read and write the words in two columns.
Wild animals: a lion; a cheetah; a hippo; a monkey; a tiger.
Domestic animals: a cow; a goose; a goat; a pig; a rabbit.
3. Complete the table.
|1||interesting||more interesting||the most interesting|
|2||important||more important||the most important|
|3||beautiful||more beautiful||the most beautiful|
|4||exciting||more exciting||the most exciting|
|5||expensive||more expensive||the most expensive|
4. Read the advertisement and answer the questions after it.
1. It is located in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada.
2. Yes, it does.
3. Yes, it does.
4. You can adopt a cat or a dog.
5. Yes, we do.
p. 58 ex. 5. Read and complete Dan’s email.
1) lions; 2) tigers; 3) giraffes; 4) parrots; 5) butterflies; 6) lake; 7) an elephant; 8) island.
p. 58, ex. 1. Read, write and draw lines.
An eagle — орел, a tail — хвіст; a beak — дзьоб; a tiger — тигр; eyes — очі; ears — вуха; a body — тіло; wings — крила; claws — кігті.
p. 59, ex. 2. Look at the photo of a tiger in Ex. 1 and write the answers to the questions.
1. It’s a tiger.
2. It is big.
3. It is white and black.
4. Yes, it is. It is very dangerous.
5. It lives in Asia.
6. No, we can’t.
p. 59, ex. 3. Read and write the name of an animal.
1) giraffe; 2) monkey; 3) elephant; 4) It is a snake/python.
p. 59, ex. 4. Read and complete the sentences with the missing words. Use Ex. 3, p. 62 (SB) to help you.
Wild animals live in the forest, the jungle, the savanna and the desert. All the animals are different. Many of them are big and strong. The others are small and funny. Strong animals often hunt smaller ones. Many of the animals eat fruit, vegetables and nuts.
All of them are part of nature.
p. 60, ex. 1. Look, write and match. Circle the animal that does not live there.
Sheep, goose, horse, cow, pig, goat, duck.
p. 60, ex. 2. Look and write. What differences do you see?
Picture A. There are four ducks in the picture. The hen and some chicken are near the lake. There are two sheep.
Picture B. There are six ducks in the picture. The hen and some chicken aren’t near the lake. There is one sheep.
p. 61 ex. 3. Read and match the parts (1-6) and (A-G). Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or the Past Simple Tenses.
1) gets — c) was, got up.
2) visit — e) visited.
3) drinks — a) drank.
4) play — g) played.
5) is — d) was.
6) buys — f) gathered.
p. 61 ex. 4. You are visiting your grandparents in the village. Write a dialogue between you (A) and your younger sister / brother (B).
A: Where do we get milk?
B: Cows give us milk.
A: Where do we get eggs?
B: Hens give us eggs.
A: What do the goats eat?
B: They eat the grass.
A: What animals give us wool?
B: Sheep give us wool.
A: What animals can swim?
B: Ducks can swim.
A: Can horses fly?
B: No, they can’t fly.
p. 62, ex. 1. Do the crossword.
1) tortoise; 2) fish; 3) rabbit; 4) parrot; 5) cat.
p. 62, ex. 2. Read Ann’s story and answer the questions.
1. It is a hedgehog.
2. Yes, he is.
3. The hair on his stomach is white.
4. Henry lives in the box.
5. He eats caterpillars and worms.
6. He looks for food at night.
7. Oles brought a kitten.
8. No, the kitten was scared of the hedgehog at first.
9. No, they didn’t. But they are friends now.
p. 63, ex. 3. Draw a picture and write about your / your friend’s pet.
My friend Dan has a pet. It is a small kitten. It is black and white. Its name is Spiky. It eats meat, fish and drinks milk. It likes playing with a ball. It is very funny.
p. 63, ex. 1. Unscramble tiles to write a sentence.
The nature is wonderful in all seasons.
p. 64, ex. 3. Write the three forms of the words given below.
|1||famous||more famous||the most famous|
|2||exciting||more exciting||the most exciting|
|3||interesting||more interesting||the most interesting|
|4||boring||more boring||the most boring|
|5||important||more important||the most important|
|6||wonderful||more wonderful||the most wonderful|
|7||dangerous||more dangerous||the most dangerous|
4. Look at the advertisements and write what message they send to people. Use ’the modal verb MUST / MUSTN’T and the phrases in the box given below.
1. We must get involved with wildlife rescue.
2. We must save the animals.
3. We must set a good example to follow.
4. We must restore the animals' habitat.
5. We must restore birds.
65 (5) Read and complete the questionnaire about you.
1. My favourite wild animal is a giraffe.
2. I’m afraid of sharks.
3. Yes, I would. / No, I wouldn’t.
4. Yes, 1 do. I like meat. But I feel sad about the animals.
5. I don’t like zoos. I think animals are not happy there.
1. Write the words next to the pictures.
2. Complete the questions with the correct question words: What, Where, Why, How, Who.
1) Who; 2) How; 3) What; 4) Where; 5) Why; 6) How; 7) How; 8) Where.
3. Write the three forms of the words given below.
67 (4) Look at the pictures, choose a word and complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the word in brackets.
1) taller; 2) faster; 3) slower; 4) younger.
67 (5) Write sentences.
1. Where did you go last Sunday?
2. Did you play football yesterday?
3. He didn’t go to the theatre last Monday.
4. Did Mike go to London two weeks ago?
5. When did he come back?
1. Complete the sentences with the words from the word bank.
1) bad; 2) sunny; 3) rainy; 4) cold; 5) chilly; 6) snowy.
2. Look at the table, tick (^) and write true sentences about the seasons of the year.
|do the children go to school?||✓|
|do the schoolchildren have holidays for three months?||✓|
|are there many flowers in the park?||✓|
|do the snowdrops bloom?|
|are the days long?||✓|
|are the nights long?||✓|
|do the birds fly away?||✓|
|are the leaves on the trees green?||✓||✓|
|does it rain a lot?||✓|
|does it snow a lot?||✓|
|do you wear T-shirts and shorts?||✓|
In winter the nights are long. It snows a lot.
In spring the snowdrops bloom. There are many flowers in the parks. The leaves on the trees are green.
In summer the schoolchildren have holidays for three months. The days are long. The leaves on the trees are green. We wear T-shirts and shorts.
In autumn the children go to school. The birds fly away. It rains a lot.
69 (3) You are talking with James. Write your questions to the given answers.
1. How many seasons are there in a year?
2. When do children start school?
3. What do you like to do after school?
4. Does your friend like to go to the forest in winter?
5. Do you go to the seaside in summer?
6. Can your mum ride a bike?
69 (1) Write the sentences in the Past Simple Tense.
1. The day was sunny yesterday.
2. There was a small house in the mountains.
3. Were there many flowers in the parks and gardens in autumn?
4. There was a nice snowflake on the window.
5. The water in the river was clean.
6. Were there many birds in that place?
7. The children were in the park yesterday.
70 (2) Today is Sunday, the eighth of November. Look at the weather chart and r write what the weather was like these days.
The weather was cloudy and sunny on the second of November. The weather was hazy on the third of November. The weather was partly cloudy on the fourth of November. It was rainy on the fifth of November. There were showers on the sixth of November. It was a thunderstorm on the seventh of November. The weather is windy today, on the eighth of November.
71 (3a) Match the parts of the phrases.
Long rivers; warm rain; black night; high mountains; grey sky; green trees; green valleys; deep seas; shiny stars; wonderful sunshine; colourful flowers; beautiful nature; clean air; wonderful snowflakes.
71 (3b) Write about nature in the place where you live. Use the phrases from Ex. 3a.
I live in Ukraine. The nature is beautiful here. There are high mountains and deep seas, green valleys and long rivers. At night you can see shiny stars in the dark sky. The rivers are blue and the forests are green. There are a lot of colourful flowers in the valleys. I love my country.