Unit 1. PAGES 4 READERS
1a) Read the statements and say if they are true or false.
1. T: There was development of music and fashion industries with the orientation to the youth market.
2. F: It’s quite clear that youth cultures can bring change to a society and help young people in their search of identity.
3. T: Rap fashion is a big business today.
4. F: Hippies were against the Vietnam War and showed their feelings in their rock songs.
5. T: Rappers are looking and sounding unusual. Are they good or bad? — No one can say.
2 a) Read the article again, copy the chart below and complete it.
b) Look through your chart and match the youth groups with the photos 1-4.
|Mods (2)||1950s and 1960s||dress in Italian style and leather clothes|
|Hippies (1)||1960s and 1970s||second-hand clothes||rock songs|
|Punks (3)||the mid 1970s||clothes that could shock people||punk-rock, violent lyrics|
|Rappers (4)||over 30 years ago||huge gold necklaces||rap songs|