Unit 3. Lesson 2. Nature and the Environment
READING & VOCABULARY
1. Choose the correct word to complete the sentences that describe the world today.
1. The population of the world is growing.
2. The world is becoming warmer. The Arctic ice is melting.
3. Not everybody has clean water. There are dry places and polluted rivers.
4. We produce a lot of rubbish.
5. There are many endangered animal and plant species.
2. Match each sentence in Task 1 with one prediction about the future of the world below.
3. (about water) A lot of people will be thirsty.
1. (about population) There will be much more people in the world.
5. (about endangered species) They will disappear.
4. (about rubbish) Rubbish will pollute the land and the sea.
2. (about climate) Polar bear won’t enough space to hunt.
9a. Copy the grid on page 152. Read the following explanations and match them with the words from the box.
|1.||It is rubbish, waste or other things we throw away||Garbage|
|2.||It’s a thick forest in tropical parts of the world, like in Amazon area||Rainforest|
|3.||It is our planet||the Earth|
|4.||We have so many of them, like air, sea and land pollution, holes in the ozone layer and so on||Environmental problems|
|5.||They are experiments with nuclear weapons (like bombs)||Nuclear testing|
|6.||It is the process of making our environment dirty and unhealthy for living||Pollution|
|7.||It can come from nuclear, electrical, solar or wind power||Energy|
|8.||It is a very big problem of our time, If we don’t protect them they will disappear forever||Animals in danger|
|9.||A great deal of pollution comes from the fumes (gases) they give off. We should walk or use bikes instead, whenever we can||Cars|
|10.||It is the science that studies the relations of plants, animals and people to each other and to their environment||Ecology|
1. If we pollute the air with our cars and factories we'll have serious problems for thousands of people all over the world.
2. If people throw rubbish from their cities into the oceans they will kill millions of fish.
3. If people get around on foot, by bike or by boat there won’t be so much pollution in the air.
4. If farmers cut down thousands of trees that are in the tropical rainforests they will kill animals and plants and they'll disappear forever.
5. If the air is not clean you’ll have to Wear a mask.
2. Remember about Dora and answer the questions with the words in brackets.
1. If Dora turns off the tap while brushing her teeth she will save water resources on the Earth.
2. If Dora keeps the TV on standby she will save electricity.
3. If Dora always puts the plastic bottles in the bottle bank she will help recycle it.
4. If Dora doesn’t turn up heating all the time she will reduce the use of energy.
5. If Dora uses her knowledge on ecology in practice she will save our planet.
3. Fill in the gaps with the right tenses of the verbs in brackets.
1 If we have enough water we won’t be thirsty.
2. More species will survive if we protect nature.
3. We will reduce the use of natural resources if we recycle old and used things.
4. Clean water will not be a problem if people stop throwing rubbish into the seas and rivers.
5. Many animals and plants will not be in danger if we don’t stop killing the animals and don’t cut down the trees.
4. Complete the sentences.
1. If you don’t litter here will be cleaner around you.
2. If we reuse things we will save our resources.
3. If people clean up after picnics they will protect nature.
4. If people recycle old magazines and books they will save trees.
5. If you turn off the lights when you leave a room you will reduce the use of electricity.
2b. Guess the problems and make sentences.
1) The African elephant is killed for its tusks.
2) Panda is endangered by the disappearance of bamboo.
3) Rhinos are hunted for their horns.
4) Sea turtles are caught for their shell and meat.
5) Ivory tusks are used for making jewellery.