Unit 4. Let’s Have a Rest
Ex. 1 p. 74
Tim likes to listen to music.
Mikes likes to read magazines.
Kate likes to watch cartoons.
The children like to play games.
Jane likes to go for a walk in the park. They like to go to the birthday parties.
Ex. 4 p. 75
Richard, John, Richard, Sue, Richard, John, Mary.
Ex. 6 p. 76
I’ve got a lot of friends. They often come to my home, and we spend time together. I like to play active games with them. In summer we like to walk in the park together. If the weather is bad, we listen to music or play computer games. Sometimes we go to the cinema or to the concert. We are never bored. I have the best friends in the world.
Ex. 2 p. 76
I train in the gym three days a week: on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
I read books every evening. I enjoy listening to music. I do it when I have free time.
Ex. 4 p. 77
He looks after his sister.
He’s going to help his mum do the shopping.
He is going to visit his granny.
He is going to play chess with Tom.
Ex. 5 p. 77
Is Kim going to meet her Granny on Monday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to meet her Granny on Sunday.
Is Kim going to go to the swimming pool on Thursday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to go to the swimming pool on Tuesday.
Is Kim going to draw pictures on Wednesday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to draw pictures on Friday.
Is Kim going to watch a circus show on Tuesday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to watch a circus show on Monday.
Is Kim going to play basketball with Jane on Friday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to play basketball with Jane on Thursday.
Is Kim going to clean the room on Monday?
No, she isn’t. She is going to clean the room on Wednesday.
Ex. 6 p. 77
I am going to clean the room on Monday.
I am going to take a music lesson on Tuesday.
I am going to play tennis on Wednesday.
I am going to go to the cinema on Thursday.
I am going to read my favourite book on Friday.
I am going to go out with my friends on Saturday.
I am going to go to the concert on Sunday.
Ex. 2 p. 78
1. c); 2. a); 3. d); 4. b); 5. e).
Ex. 3 p. 79
Kate: Are you free this Sunday, Mary? Mary: Yes, I am.
Kate: Great. Let’s do something together! What about going to the cinema?
Mary: That’s a great idea! Where shall we meet?
Kate: We can meet near the cinema at 3 o’clock.
Mary: OK. Shall we go to the concert next Friday?
Kate: I’m afraid I can’t. I’m going to take a music lesson next Friday. Besides, I watched this concert last week.
Mary: How about going to the Zoo to watch a little bear cub on Sunday? Kate: Good idea! Yes, I’d love to.
Ex. 4 p. 79
1. Jane writes an invitation. Kim writes a reply.
2. Jane invites Kim to the cinema.
3. Kim accepted the invitation.
4. The girls are going to meet outside the cinema at 7.00.
Ex. 5 p. 80
Whom to invite
Where to go
to the Zoo
Where to meet
at my place
What time to meet
at 3 o’clock
Ex. 6 p. 80
What are you doing on Saturday afternoon? I am going to the Zoo to watch new animals. Would you like to come too? We can meet at 2.30 at my place. See you soon.
Ex. 2 p. 80
What kind of TV programmes do you like? — I like Discovery Channel. What are your favourite shows? — I like quiz shows.
What is the title of your favourite film? — Matrix.
Ex. 3 b) p. 81
Ann and Dan have decided to watch a programme about blue whales on the Discovery Channel.
Ex. 4, p. 81
1 — True; 2 — False; 3 — True; 4 — False; 5 — True.
Ex. 5 p. 82
1. have gone; 2. Has Mary taken; 3. has already visited; 4. have never been; 5. has already watched; 6. haven’t been.
Ex. 6 p. 82
A: My favourite quiz show has already started.
B: But a very interesting TV programme will begin in 5 minutes. Let’s watch it together.
A: But I don’t like sport.
B: You can watch your quiz show later.
A: I can’t. I am taking a music lesson. B: OK. Let’s watch a quiz show together.
Ex. 7 p. 82
1. My favourite TV Channel is One Plus One.
Why do you like this TV Channel? Which programmes do you prefer to watch?
When do you watch them?
2. Steve likes to watch sports programmes.
When does he watch them?
What is his favourite sport programme?
Does he play sports?
3. I’ve already watched thatfilm. Have you already watched this film? Did you like it?
Was it funny?
Ex. 1 p. 82
What is on Channel 1 today? — A film “Flipper”.
When does the film start? — At 11.30. What channel is the programme Pet Rescue Service on? — On Animal Planet.
Is there an interesting cartoon film today? — Yes. The Little Mermaid.
Ex. 2 p. 83
1. D; 2. F; 3. B; 4. A; 5. E; 6. C.
Ex. 3 p. 84
1. They have bought a new TV.
2. Father stopped reading newspapers and visiting his friends.
3. TV keeps Molly quiet for some time.
4. She watches the cartoons.
5. It has broken.
6. They went picnicking.
Ex. 4 p. 84
Mr. Parker has discovered that he usually spends two or three hours in front of the TV.
Mrs. Parker has started to worry that her husband has even stopped reading newspapers.
Steve has decided to watch football matches on TV.
I have made some sandwiches and I have baked your favourite apple pie. The Parkers have packed their backpacks.
Ex. 5 p. 84
1. Who; 2. What; 3. What; 4. Which; 5. Which; 6. What.
ex. 6 p. 84
Mum has already cooked the dinner. She is inviting the family members to have dinner together. Father is reading. He has already watched TV. Molly is playing. Steve is eating popcorn. The dog has already played. It is having a rest. Grandpa is sitting in the armchair. Grandma is knitting.
Ex. 7 p. 85
1. I watch TV one hour a day.
2. I like to watch programmes about animals.
3. Sometimes my mother is angry when I watqh TV.
4. I never watch TV when I am with my friends. We play computer games or go out.
5. I can imagine my life without TV.
6. I usually go out with my friends instead of watching TV.
Ex. 1 p. 85
I am fond of collecting stamps. My parents usually buy them for me in the post office. The theme of my collection is “Animals.” I keep my collection in the special album.
Ex. 3 p. 87
Abby, Abby, Abby, Mike, Maryna, Mike, Mike.
Ex. 5 p. 87
1. have; 2. have; 3. have; 4. has; 5. have; 6. has.
Ex. 7 p. 87
I am fond of collecting stamps. My parents usually buy them for me in the post office. The theme of my collection is “Cities and countries.” I have had my hobby for 2 years. I keep my collection in a special album. I am a member of the philatelic club.
Ex. 2 p. 88
1. They are in the forest.
2. They have already put their tents.
3. They haven’t cooked any meal yet.
4. They have got a pan, bowls, a bucket.
Ex. 3 p. 89
Ann, Dan, Jane, Alex, Tom, Steve and Kim have decided on a hiking trip with their friends and teacher Miss Alison. The children have come to a beautiful place.
Dan and Alex have already put up a few tents.
Some boys have collected the wood. Tom has made a fire.
Sue has brought some water from the stream.
Ann and Jane have already begun to cook a meal.
Miss Alison has helped her schoolchildren to do all the tasks.
“We’ve made the right decision about the hiking trip on holidays”, — said Miss Alison.
Ex. 4 p. 89
What have the children decided? What was the weather like?
Who has put up the tents?
Who has helped the children?
Did they have a great time?
Ex. 5 p. 89
1. I have cooked breakfast for my parents.
2. I have written a postcard as my granny has her birthday soon.
3. I have decorated our classroom for party.
4. I have telephoned my classmate because he is not at school.
5. I have bought new badges for my collection.
6. I have planted some new beautiful flowers.
Ex. 6 p. 89
1. Alex: You are very fit. Have you exercised for a long time?
Dan: Yes, I have.
Alex: What do you go in for?
Dan: I go in for swimming.
2. Alex: What time do your trainings start?
Dan: At four o’clock. I finish at six o’clock and go home.
3. Alex: Has Steve joined the Swimming Club?
Dan: No, he hasn’t.
Alex: Does he spend his summer holidays at the seaside?
Dan: Yes, he does.
Ex. 1 p. 90
I usually go to the seaside in summer. And I stay at home with friends in autumn. Sometimes we go to the cinema or to the theatre. We also go in for winter kinds of sport: skating, skiing and sledging. We like to travel in spring and summer. It’s great to visit new cities and meet new people.
Ex. 2 p. 90
A: What do you like to do on holidays?
B: I like to spend time with my friends.
A: How long do you think school holidays should be?
B: From my point of view, school holidays should last two or three months.
A: Do you prefer one long holidays or several shorter ones?
B: As for me, I prefer one long holidays.
A: Do you know Road Safety Rules? What are they?
B: Yeas, I know Road Safety Rules. Road Safety Rules are rules of a behavior on the road.
A: What do you have to do first when you cross the road in Ukraine? What about the UK?
B: At first I’ll see left on the road in Ukraine. At first I’ll see right on the road in UK.
Ex. 3 p. 91
Children went to the beach. They were so happy. “Let’s play volleyball”, Dan said.
Suddenly Steve j umped on something sharp and hurt his foot. He sat down on the sand and examined his foot. The children stopped playing and came closer to him. In a few minutes they found a small marble thing!
“We can take it to the local museum”, Anna said. The next day, the local newspaper interviewed the children about their wonderful finding.
1. E; 2. C; 3. D; 4. F; 5. B; 6. A.
Ex. 4 p. 91
Ann and her family spend their holiday time in Yalta.
Ex. 5 p. 92
1. Ann is on holidays in Yalta.
2. Her family is staying in a lovely hotel.
3. The weather is nice.
4. When on the beach, Ann builds sandcastles, feeds the seagulls and collects shells and stones.
5. Ann has gone on excursions and has bought some souvenirs.
6. Ann asks Jane about her holidays in London.
Ex. 7 p. 92
Dan is having school holidays soon. He is going to get up at 10 o’clock. Then he is going to have breakfast and watch TV. After that, he is going to play football with his friends.
Ex. 1 p. 93
1. went; 2. saw; 3. programmes; 4. read; 5. seats; 6. see; 7. music; 8. fantastic; 9. enjoyed.
Ex. 2 p. 93
1. collected; 2. began; 3. knew; 4. kept; 5. travelled; 6. brought.
Ex. 3 p. 93
1. a); 2. b); 3. a); 4. b).
Ex. 4 p. 93
I have made a delicious cake. I think I have spent an hour making it.
I have tidied up my room. I think I have spent 2 hours doing it.
Ex. 6 p. 94
1. He is watching a football match at the moment. — What is he doing at the moment?
2. I have already seen a quiz show today. — Have you seen a quiz show yet?
3. I’m watching a good programme about birds in the Antarctic. — What are you watching now?
p. 94. Extensive Reading
Ex. 3 p. 95
1. Ann and Dan decided to camp out because it was warm July evening.
2. Ann took her new doll, two teddy bears, and some food.
3. Dan brought his big racing car, a robot, and a box of chocolates.
4. No, the children didn’t enjoy their time.
5. They ran back home because they were scared.
Ex. 4 p. 95
1. It was the first time Ann and Dan’s parents let them camp out in a tent at the back of the yard.
2. Ann’s mum helped the children take things to the tent.
3. The children took a new doll, two teddy bears, some food, a big racing car, a robot, and a box of chocolates.
4. The campers spoke in a whisper until Ann thought she heard a noise.
5. Ann and Dan ran up the dark toward home because they were scared.
6. Ann’s mum said, “Well, you had better camp in tonight — you can camp out another time!”
Ex. 5 p. 95
1. took; 2. go; 3. listened; 4. helped; 5. shines; 6. explains.
Ex. 6 p. 96
1. / u / took, food, two
2. / 3 / robot, of, chocolates, box
3. / sc / drank
4. / o; / thought
5. / ea / scared, bears
6. / ai / tonight, time
Ex. 7 p. 96
One day it was sunny and we decided to camp out. We were very excited. Our parents helped us to put up a tent. We took some food, drinks and sleeping bags. We camped out near the river, so we swam a lot, played and had a lot of fun. When it was getting dark, we went to bed. We were sleeping well in our sleeping bags.