Task 1. Read the text and decide if the sentences are T (true), F (false) or NS (Not Stated).
1. Mark Twain came to London on business. FALSE
2. The friend had enough money to travel back. FALSE
3. The writer bought two tickets. TRUE
4. The inspector noticed two men in the compartment. FALSE
5. All of them laughed at this joke. NS
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
I’m not far (1) C from Malta. As to the weather, it’s very hot and I’m getting a nice suntan.
There are lots more to do here (2) B than just sunbathing though. I’ve tried windsurfing, waterskiing and snorkeling, (3) A but haven’t been on a jet ski yet.
The nightlife here (4) B is fantastic, too. I’ve (5) A already been to a beach barbecue and quite a few nightclubs. I’ve also (6) B eaten at some great restaurants and tasted some delicious local dishes. I haven’t bought any souvenirs (7) C yet but I’ve seen some nice things I want to buy because shopping here is really great!
Well, that’s all for now. See you when I (8) C ‘ll get back.