Task 1. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
1. When you travel abroad....
A you aren’t expected to bring anything back.
2. A gift from a foreigner which is typical of his or her homeland, would..
B be received with pleasure.cause embarassment.
3. At Christmas, it is customary to give presents to ...
C people who have served you during the year.
4. In the writer’s opinion, gift-giving in the US is ...
A not an important social custom.
5. “...I try to bring back little souvenirs for close friends.” Is a close friend someone ...
B you know very well?
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
Turtles spend most of their life (1) A in the sea. They have a hard shell over their body and they can pull their head, arms and legs inside the shell (2) D if they are in danger. Turtles (3) C often live for one hundred years and grow up to two metres long. (4) A Each year, the mother turtle swims to a beach to lay her eggs. (5) D About a month later, the eggs break open and the baby turtles (6) B try to get into the sea. They are very small and (7) C many have problems getting to the water.
Several years later, these baby turtles will return to the same beach to lay their eggs. People think they find the way by following the light from the moon or the stars.