Task 1. You will hear about alternative medicine. Listen and mark the correct ending A, B, C or D for each sentence.
1. The doctors said that within just a few months I would be in a wheelchair
A for the rest of my life.
B for several months.
C for several years.
D for an uncertain period of time.
2. I sold my house, said goodbye to my friends and
A went to Indonesia.
B flew to Indonesia.
C drove to Indonesia.
D sailed to Indonesia.
3. In the hut it was really dark
A and I couldn’t see anything.
B but I could see lots of bowls all around.
C but I could see lots of stones all around.
D but I could see the witchdoctor.
4. The witchdoctor told me to lie down and he put his hands on my head and A started to sing.
B started to talk.
C started to ask me.
D started to massage.
5. Every day the witchdoctor did the same thing, and
A I drank different liquids.
B I drank the same liquid.
C I took different medicines.
D I took the same medicine.
Task 2. Read the text and decide if the sentences are T (true) or F (false).
1. Holidaymakers can spend the whole year travelling. FALSE
2. Visitors are attracted to tourist resorts by the possibility to swim. FALSE
3. Holidaymakers come to Hastings to enjoy fascinating attractions. TRUE
4. Coming to St Leonards, it’s better to find out if the attractions are to your liking. TRUE
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
1B, 2D, 3A, 4C, 5B, 6B, 7D, 8C