Task 1. You will hear about alternative medicine. Listen and mark the sentences T (true) or F (false).
1. The doctors said I had a rare head disease, and there was nothing they could do.
2. The doctor advised me to use alternative medicine.
3. When I reached the hut I saw a witchdoctor and told him about my disease.
4. Every day the witchdoctor gave me the same liquid.
5. When I got home I went back to the same hospital and had no tests because I was healthy.
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
1. What is the main purpose of the article?
B to describe a festival which takes place on the Isle of Wight
2. What does the writer say about the festival in 1968?
D It was more popular than imagined.
3. What would you learn about Jimi Hendrix from the article?
A He made his last ever appearance at the festival.
4. The festival was shut down because...
B people tried to go without paying.
5. What best describes the festival these days?
C It is one of the UK’s biggest summer events.
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
I enjoyed business studies at school and wanted to (1) A increase my knowledge of the subject so I decided to study it at university. Also I knew it would be (2) B useful later when I looked for a job. At first, the course wasn’t quite what I had expected because it didn’t cover the subjects I was particularly interested (3) D in.
We spent lots of time studying a range of subjects like law and economics but I soon (4) B realized these are things you need to understand.
In class we work in groups, preparing ideas, we then (5) C share them with the others. Now we are learning how to make business plans and we can see how they would actually apply to the world of business. We have a very busy (6) C social life at the university so whatever subject you study, you must be (7) B keen on it or you won’t make yourself find the time to study.