Task 1. You will hear a teacher talking to a school assembly. Listen and mark the sentences T (true) or F (false).
1. The purpose of the announcement is to inform students about an upcoming school trip.
2. The previous years winner explored space.
3. Students must send a report or film to the judges if they want to be considered for the competition.
4. The science fair takes place during October.
5. Any team wishing to enter competition will be provided with an information pack and equipment for the projects on September 9.
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
1. Why is recycling so important?
C Because it improves the environment.
2. Is recycling a new idea?
B No, it was known long ago.
3. What questions do we ask ourselves?
A Why do we throw away?
4. What is recycled in Taiwan?
B waste paper
5. What title is the most appropriate for the text?
C Recycling will save our environment
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
When people first began to write, they did not use an alphabet. Instead, they drew small pictures to show the objects they were writing about. This was very slow because there was a different picture for (1) C every word.
The Ancient Egyptians had a system of picture writing that was (2) B called hieroglyphics. The meaning of this writing was forgotten for a very long time but in 1799 some scientists (3) A discovered a stone near Alexandria in Egypt. The stone had been there for (4) C over a thousand years. It had both Greek and hieroglyphics on it and researchers were finally able to understand what the hieroglyphics meant.
An alphabet is quite different (5) B at picture writing. It (6) A consists of letters or symbols that represent a sound and each sound is just part of one word. The Phoenicians, who lived about 3,000 years ago, developed the modern alphabet. It was later improved by the Romans and this alphabet is now used (7) B widely throughout the world.