Task 1. You will hear an interview about a student who studied abroad. Listen and mark the sentences T (true) or F (false).
1. Jeff wanted to experience new things.
2. Jeff chose to study in Germany because he could apply the classes to his degree.
3. Jeff’s favourite thing about his trip was getting to know the city well.
4. Jeff encountered a problem travelling because he had never flown before.
5. Jeff was grateful to his host for her help.
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B or C.
1. At Oxford University...
A a student can be a member of different clubs.
2. The most popular sport at Oxford University is...
3. Bumping races were invented because...
A it was possible for boats to race side by side.
4. The winners are given...
C oars with their names engraved in gold.
5. May Week is...
A fortnight in June.
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
When I was a child we used to go to my grandmother’s house. We often had a picnic in a wood which was (1) C full of wild flowers. We always used to go to the (2) C same place. One day when we had finished our picnic, my mother noticed that she had (3) A lost her ring, which had her initials inside it.
We looked everywhere for it and we carried on until it was dark and we had to give (4) D up.
Thirty years later, I was on holiday with my own children and we (5) B found the same wood. We decided to have a picnic there. It was my son who made it a lucky day. He was bored with the picnic (6) D so he started digging a hole under a tree. Suddenly, he (7) C saw a ring. It had some writing inside it and we all agreed it was my mother’s ring. She was really happy when we gave it back to her!