Task 1. You will hear doctor Matthew Belmont. For questions choose the best answer A, В or C.
1. What does Dr Belmont study?
2. Which was not mentioned by Dr Belmont as a specific topic of his talk?
3. Where do people live longer?
A In the cities.
В In the country.
C Both in the cities and in the country.
4. What is the difference in number of mobile phones snatched in Manchester in 2003 compared to 2002?
5. What should people do to improve the environmental situation, according to Dr Bel- mont’s talk?
A People should pay special taxes.
В People shouldn’t bring their cars into city centres.
C People must use public transport.
Task 2. Read the article and match the title A -F to each paragraph 1 -5 . There is one extra title.
1D, 2E, 3F, 4A, 5B
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
The English like (1) C growing flowers. it's a useful occupation because it doesn’t harm anyone. In winter the most romantic thing (2) B for some people is to pick up a seed catalogue and look at the brightly (3) C coloured pictures of summer flowers. Even people with a tiny patch of ground in towns like growing plants, and people who (4) D have never seriously tried to speak any foreign language carefully learn the Latin names of the flowers they plant, so that they can tell their friends.
If you (5) D want to please an English person, be very polite about his garden. He will probably tell you about his garden. So you listen and say, “How (6) A interesting! How clever of you!”
The English gardens are internationally famous. Some of them are very beautiful, especially the big (7) B ones that are open to the public.