Task 1. You will hear Jack talking about his job. Listen and mark the sentences T (true) or F (false).
1. Jack works for a water park company.
2. He has travelled to the Costa Del Sol.
3. Jack used to work in an office.
4. He has to write a brochure.
5. Jack asks Adam to be his assistant.
Task 2. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B or C.
1. When did Mark Twain go to the party?
C in the evening
2. How long was M. Twain’s speech?
C over 15 minutes
3. Who was Mark Twain’s friend?
B a man
4. What did Mark Twain and his friend agree to do before the dinner?
A to exchange speeches
5. What did Mark Twain’s friend lose?
B the notes of Mark Twain’s speech
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
There exists a very interesting island in the Pacific Ocean. It’s called Easter Island which is (1) C famous for its statues. Hundreds of these huge, stone faces can be (2) C found all over the island.
The question is who made them. How (3) D did they move these giant pieces of rock? Studies show that people first arrived on the island about 1600 years ago. They had a very advanced culture. Many objects were made by them, and they had their (4) B own written language. However, the number of people on the island grew and grew (5) B until it reached about 10,000 people.
It happened so that there were too many people and there wasn’t (6) D enough food to eat. A terrible war happened and many of the statues were destroyed. When western explorers (7) B discovered the island on Easter Day in 1722, the huge rock statues were the only sign of the existence of a great society once living there.