Task 1. You will hear people talking in five different situations. For each question choose the correct answer A, B or C.
1. Why did the young girl teach art?
A She wanted a break from university.
B She was obliged to teach.
C It was one of her ambitions.
2. What do you think the young man’s job is?
A A chef.
B A doctor.
C A waiter,
3. How does the lecturer feel about the writer?
A He finds his novels too long.
B He likes that his work is very detailed.
C He thinks his work is too hard to read.
4. Why has the man phoned the library?
A To order a book.
B To make an enquiry.
C To complain.
5. What is the reporter talking about?
A The pros and cons of online lectures.
B The reasons why students don’t go to lectures anymore.
C The different ways that students can learn. .
Task 2. Read the text and decide if the sentences are T (true), F (false) or NS (not stated).
1. The boy’s sister was the first sent to private piano lessons by the parents. TRUE
2. The boy behaved nastily because he was fond of music and wanted to learn playing. FALSE
3. The boy found the lessons were not fun. NS
4. The understanding of music came to the boy at the age of 11. TRUE
5. The boy was fond of classical music. NS
Task 3. Read the text. Choose one of the variants A, B, C or D.
People all over the world know Maxwell House Coffee brand. Here is a bit of history.
In 1873, a grocery salesman named Joel Cheek became interested (1) C in coffee and made his own unique blend. Realizing that he (2) C had created a fine brew, he decided to sell it. One of the South’s (3) B best hotels, the Maxwell House, liked his coffee and began to serve it to guests; hence the name Maxwell House Coffee.
In 1907, on returning from a bear hunt in (4) A Mississippi, President Theodore Roosevelt was a guest of the Ladies Hermitage Association at Andrew (5) D Jackson's homestead in Nashville, Tennessee.
He (6) A was served a cup of Maxwell House Coffee. Upon being offered a refill, he remarked on the excellent quality of the coffee and uttered the famous line, “Delightful. This coffee is good to (7) C the last drop.” Apparently when Roosevelt talked, people listened.